Saturday, May 10, 2008

Ankole-Watusi (cattle)

My mom told me that there were some longhorn cattle in the field across the street. So, I thought I would take this time to practice with my new camera - because I'm taking photos at the parent-child dedication tomorrow at church.


Here are some pretty impressive photos - to me at least! And below is some information on them from Wikipedia! :)




Ankole-Watusi cattle are a breed of cattle native to Africa. They have very large, distinctive horns similar to a Texas Longhorn. They are sometimes known as Ankole or Watusi. Like many cattle, they are the descendents of the Aurochs who became extinct in the 17th century. Watusi are native to Africa and, for over 6000 years, have played a pivotal role in the lives of various African tribes - Tusi, Ankole, Bahima, Bashi, Kegezi, and the Kivu - although the Tutsi are most often associated with the breed. The cattle provided food, currency, and tribal status. In Rwanda, where the Tutsi ruled, Watusi were known as "Insanga" or "the ones which were found" and "Inyambo" or "the cows with long, long horns." Those with the largest and longest horns belonged to the King and were considered sacred, with some individuals having horns that measure twelve feet from tip to tip. The breed is often referred to as the 'Cattle of Kings'.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

them's some big ole' horns...