Friday, November 9, 2007

"Do you have real coffee here?"

As many of you know, I work in the Pediatric Emergency Department. Over the last several years, the 'purpose' of the ED has changed. Now, emergencies are fevers (which some are), ear aches, etc. We tend to replace what we call our primary care physicians. However, we do see many sick children.

Last night was a record breaking night. We got up to 216%. Meaning, we were well over our serving capacity. When I left this morning, we had 21 admitted patients sitting in the ED. Crazy!

To top it off, as I was wrapping up report, I had a family member approach me, "Do you have real coffee here?" (We have a nourishment room with water, coffee, tea, cereal, crackers, etc). I informed him where he could get himself some coffee. You would think I would be use to this by now, but honestly, I'm not. Our name should be the Hilton, instead of the Pediatric Emergency Department!

2 comments:

Ladybird said...

I have the utmost respect for you and all nurses! Your night must have been crazy! Get some sleep.

BTW, I linked my blog to yours. I hope that you don't mind!

Joy said...

how can people think about "real coffee" when their kid is sick enough to be in the emergency room??????