Tuesday, November 13, 2007

What the heck is wrong with people?

There are days, nights where I don't quite understand the thought processes of people. I mean, you bring your child to the Emergency Department to be taken care of, but you think we as health care providers(and I'm speaking for nurses here) are simply there to torture your child. I know I say that that is what I do for a living, but honestly, I think it takes special individuals to take care of screaming, crying, kicking children.

Last night, we were attempting to place an IV for antibiotic therapy. The parents were already telling us that they wanted someone good to start their child's IV. There were three of us nurses in the room. All of which totalled to about 30 years of experience (& they both work with Peds IV therapy). I attempted, I got a blood return, and when I went to flush the IV, the vein blew. At that point, the parents were telling us that they wanted someone who could get it on the first try. Well, I must say, when you're trying to hit a moving target, it's a little hard. So, one of the others tried, and the exact same thing happened, which isn't uncommon in children. Well, that was it, we were verbally abused by the parents, and the three of us walked out of the room. We let the charge nurse handle the situation, and none of us walked back into that room again. We notified VUPD, and they spoke with the father. Of course, he denied everything.

Regardless of the matter, there are just times where you can't make people happy, and tonight was one of them.

2 comments:

Ladybird said...

I have nothing but the utmost respect for you. Dealing with the public is one thing, but dealing with parents is a whole new ball game.

Joy said...

you're question: What the heck is wrong with people?


my answer: they're stupid.